Monday 3 April 2023

 At Last!                                                               Sunday, 2nd April, 2023.

It has been a long time coming – almost two years in fact; such was the result of the fall that broke the camel’s back. This morning I went out on my solo journey.  Because there’s a short, very steep street which I have to learn to conquer between our place and Sugarbag Road one day, John loaded the trike and dropped me off at the entrance to Ben Bennett Bushland Park aka Ben Bennett Botanical Park; a 21 hectare piece of bushland sitting next to Caloundra State High School in Sugarbag Road not far  from our place. This ride was done with a little bit of trepidation because of lost confidence from the accident, so was really a confidence-building ride. No doubt the more riding done, the more it’ll grow.

The morning weather was truly beautiful … sunshine, a little cool ... perfect for riding. Entering the Park was a hands-on-the-brakes affair because it’s all downhill. The track is a wide, compacted solid gravel one. Riding very carefully downhill I came to a fork … which way – left or right?  I turned left and found it was even  more downhill – mind you, those hands were on the brakes until it flattened out a bit. 

To say I was enthralled in that bush is an understatement.  The beauty of it with sun shining through trees, sweet-smelling air and birds singing, all made for a magical time. I couldn’t stop smiling. Next visit, I’ll take time to sit and sketch trees and nature in my nature journal. 

The trail led to a concrete path which took me out of the Park and as I explored the surrounding streets including a slow ride through the Farmers’ Markets, ended up on Queen Street which is the extension of Sugarbag Road. I’d done a big circle. Queen Street is on the east side of the Nicklin Way Overpass while Sugarbag Road is on the west side and continues all the way to Caloundra Road. 

It was only a 3.1km ride but because I was somewhere between the pace of a snail and a tortoise, it took about an hour.  After his swim which he does 6 days a week at the beach pool, John and I arranged to pick me up in Queen Street. I would have ridden home except for a knee problem which arose. Talk about falling apart. I’m feeling like John’s car waiting for work to be done on it while in the meantime Gorilla Tape keeps the parts together. When we were passing the park on the way home, a cycle club had arrived to do an orienteering ride.  What fun!  

This afternoon as I write, I feel exhilarated by the ride and am looking forward to tomorrow’s outing if I wake up in time.  This has been my only true exercise in two years and has left me feeling uplifted and quietly excited about future rides.  

On the west side of the Park is the Town Reserve of 49hectares of bush turned into Mountain Bike trails. Last year the council sealed the car park and built a kiosk and toilets. It’s hugely popular with adults and children.  Don’t think I’ll bother though.












 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Beryl you are amazing. Sounds like a beautiful ride. I hope you enjoy many more. 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bev ... thing is, I have always loved riding. This has brought a freedom for me because I cannot walk any great distance anymore, and can get to places a car can't go. Win, win! lol XX

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Beryl really proud of you in attempting to conquer your fears...go Girl woohoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I was never sure when this could become reality but a time just comes and away we go! lol

      Delete
  3. Good on you mum! I’m so proud of you and looking forward to seeing your sketches and hearing more about your adventures! LH

    ReplyDelete