Wednesday 17 May 2023

 

Cull the Clutter.

Oh Look!  We’re past half-way through May already. I can’t keep up with the days as they roll by and there's a myriad of things to do, i.e. (notice I didn’t use the word “like”) de-cluttering this house for one, so that when we’re no longer around, our children have fewer things to get rid of.

The other day on TV utube I watched a woman talking about culling things out of the house for over 50s, using the word "minimalist" a few times.  I’m well over 50 so I qualify. She made so much sense, and as I listened to her advice I really became excited and no, I haven’t done a thing to begin – some days are just too hard to do anything except breathe. Other days I just keep forgetting, remembering only when it’s inconvenient, i.e. (again avoiding the word “like”) being in bed when the mind can think about these things. Maybe I should be doing it now instead of writing about it at 2am. Nahhh … where’s the fun in that … drink your Roiboos relax/help-to-sleep-tea dear so you can get back to bed for more sleep!

I’m almost sure I’ve reached the place where I can become unsentimental about most things.  Nearly everything in the cupboards (except maybe the kitchen) has either been given to us or inherited.  EEkkkkk … you ought to see our attic; it’s a minefield, although I haven’t been there for some time because I’m not supposed to climb stairs, however, I’m sure nothing has changed. One day I’ll make the effort, so house, be scared! Be very, very scared!

My darling sister is into culling, but there’s one thing wrong with her logic … she’s giving me back all the dishes and things that we’ve given her over the years but that’s ok; my fault for agreeing to take them back, but I only wanted to see what they are because I can’t remember … I’ll dispose of them along with all the other “stuff”  … once I get going. For now, there’s nowhere to put them except on a bench in the kitchen – or the attic.

My beautiful late-friend Yvonne de-cluttered her entire house when she was told she had terminal cancer.  I remember clearly her saying how good it felt; how unburdened her mind was now that all those things were gone that would not be needed when her time came.  How we miss you precious lady. But not forever ……

Around thirty-odd years ago I visited an elderly widowed neighbour. She was a really sweet woman who invited me into her old farm house and as we negotiated the path through the lounge room I could see she was a long-time collector of antique china and glassware. A culler’s paradise. Is your house a culler's paradise?

I should take a leaf out of our two daughter’s books. They’re minimalist without being scanty. I know that when I begin getting rid of things, it’ll be like Christmas because they haven’t seen the light of day since we’ve been here, going on 16 years. How silly is that?!  Maybe I shouldn’t have said it’ll be like Christmas because usually we keep Christmas presents don’t we? 

In the meantime, I’ve finished my cuppa Roiboos so I’ll be off back to bed. Nite nite … oh wait; that should be morning, morning. Hmmm doesn’t sound the same, does it?!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment