Sunday 7 May 2023

 

The Coronation as I saw it.

Saturday night in Australia, 6th May, 2023.  Watching the coronation of King Charles III and Queen Camilla, I stayed until the bleary-eyed finish.  It was beautifully orchestrated in every aspect and seemed to go off without a hitch.  I loved the carriages, especially the made-in-Australia one which they arrived in at the Abbey. Such a pretty and beautiful piece of craftsmanship by many, designed by Jim Frecklington, born in Parkes, New South Wales, Australia. He must have felt proud at its use (the good proud; not the prideful proud). Because the gold coronation carriage is almost twice as heavy, eight beautiful horses are needed to pull it.

Here is information about Jim’s coach:   

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2647757/The-Queens-new-palace-wheels-Wood-Newtons-apple-tree-A-bullet-Waterloo-Metal-Dambuster-Unveiled-today-carriage-thats-mobile-museum-history.html

When I was a little girl my mother gave my sister and me each a tiny   miniature of the gold coronation coach with horses … a memento from queen Elizabeth’s coronation. I loved it but unfortunately it disappeared over time.  I wish there was a remake for this coronation.

I loved the dressing-up of guests and royalty. Little Princess Charlotte looked so pretty, and Prince George … well, not only did he look smart but  how well did he do his part?! Prince Louis didn’t let us down with a little touch of his mischievousness. Our King Charles looked so smart in his attire throughout, and that beautiful gold gown was stunning but I think he didn’t like it being so stiff while he tried to settle it when he sat down.  Queen Camilla looked so regal in her beautiful white dress.  

I loved the military of all classes with their cleaned and polished uniforms; I loved the sound of well-trained horse hooves on the bitumen; I loved the decorations on horses pulling the Coronation coach; I loved the police doing their duties; I loved the street banners and the crowds of flag-waving people with smiling faces of all ages; it seemed the atmosphere was loaded with joy and enthusiasm as they surged in waves up the Mall and gathered around the front of the palace. I loved the gathering on the balcony and the fly-overs. Yes, to me it was simply a beautiful time in history.

I could see the solemnity of responsibility once again in Charle’s and Camilla’s faces as they were being crowned. When it was all over and they were on the balcony, they seemed more relaxed and quite moved at the celebrating masses.

And so the Carolean era begins.  God bless you King Charles and Queen Camilla, in all the work you do and will be doing in the service of your people.

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment